Welcome to my blog! This is all very new and exciting for me and I thank you for joining me on our journey. In this post I hope to outline my vision for this blog and give some tips on how to make it maximally useful. I would also like to lay out some ground rules to encourage productive participation so that we can all learn from each other. In other words, I would like to build an educational and informative community, with active participation, and multiple points of view. Let the journey begin!
The purpose of this blog is primarily educational, and eventually to be used as a reference for those who are looking for information. My practice, Wise Wellness, is based off of Traditional Chinese Medicine (referred to as “TCM”) and therefore the majority of blog posts will be related to health and wellness. Since TCM comes from a different way of thinking than we are used to living in the West, there are many concepts that will need to be explained. This is why part of the blog will be dedicated to explaining what TCM is and the different aspects of it, ranging from its theoretical philosophical foundations, to its practical and concrete elements.
My goal is to educate and empower the individual (you) so that they can make informed decisions through critical thinking. Information is power. The more you know the better decisions you can make with your health and with your life. This is why I encourage participation. I am only human, however. I have my opinions and I make mistakes. Feel free to question my assertions. Argue against my claims (in the philosophical sense, not combative). Present evidence to the contrary. The more sides to a story we can unravel, the more we can learn – together. Ideas are never static, they are constantly changing. What we believe one day may turn out to be false the next day. This is why we should always maintain an open mind. Better yet, a skeptical open mind, so that we are constantly questioning assertions and assumptions. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research and please feel free to share it with the rest of us. On the same token I may sometimes fail to be complete in my explanations. Some things I take for granted is common knowledge may not be. In those cases please question my assumptions. Ask for clarity and I will do my best to be complete and rigorous.
Ideally, most of my posts will be based on evidence and fact. However, due to the nature of science, sometimes all of the (scientifically peer-reviewed) evidence is either not available or wrong. This is where things can get controversial and sometimes are based on my professional opinion, but this is why I encourage the discourse. A healthy debate will not only present all sides but encourage critical thinking – which is the purpose of this blog. i will be writing more about this and other “philosophy of science” topics in a comping post.
Some basic rules for this blog:
- DO: Actively participate in a constructive, meaningful, and courteous manner.
- DO: Encourage other to participate, including healthcare professionals and other authoritative figures who can constructively contribute.
- DO: Respect the opinions of others, even if they don’t coincide with yours.
- DO: Share posts with anyone and everyone who can benefit in any way.
- DO: Contact me with topics of interest. I’ll try to address them if relevant.
- DO: Follow me on social media. (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- DO: Give me feedback. I am always willing to learn and adapt.
- DON’T: Troll, be negative or offensive. It does not help your argument and you may be censored.
- DON’T: Spam or solicit unnecessarily.
Some notes about the information contained within this blog:
- The material contained in this blog is strictly informational and not meant to diagnose, cure, or treat any disease.
- None of the information provided applies to everyone 100%. Each individual reacts differently to different things so please keep that in mind when reading ANY health & wellness article.
- Please consult your primary care provider and/or licensed acupuncturist before implementing any of the advise contained within this blog.